Saturday, September 14, 2013

Add a Little Quinoa to your Saturday...

What beautiful weather we are having in Indiana!  I can tell that fall is almost here!  

Since I had my baby about three months ago, I've been focused on getting my body back in shape.  So this week I incorporated some quinoa into our diet.  I LOVE quinoa!  You've got to try it...it's a seed that feels like a grain/pasta/etc.  

Quinoa is like a blank slate because it can be combined with anything.  I chose a southwestern spin and this is what our dish looked like:


This was our main dish but could definitely be used as a side dish.

Here's the recipe:

Quinoa/water
1 can black beans
1 can corn
1 tomato, diced
1 avocado, diced
Cilantro
Juice from 1 lime
Salt/Pepper
1 Tbsp EVOO
3 splashes balsamic vinegar

The key to this dish is making the quinoa ahead of time so it has time to cool.  
  • Prepare quinoa according to package directions.  Put in refrigerator for at least one hour.
  • Add vegetables to quinoa.  
  • In a separate bowl, combine cilantro, lime juice, salt, pepper, EVOO, and balsamic vinegar.  Toss with quinoa and vegetables.
I hope you enjoy this dish as much as we did!  A perfect end-of-summer dish that's also healthy!




No comments:

Post a Comment