Saturday, September 28, 2013

Add a Little Apple to Your Saturday...

Last week I declared it "Apple Week" in our house.  I wanted to teach our two-year-old, Ransom, all about apples and make some of our evening time together more meaningful.  So here's how we spent our time:

  • Reading apple books!  Ransom isn't a huge fan of books yet but he's getting better each week.  And I was amazed--like jaw-dropping amazed--when he sat on my lap four nights in a row and let me read through an entire book about apples!  It might have helped that he went to the public library with me to pick out the books, so we made it a special event.  Here were our favorite books: 
6588611

One Red Apple by Harriet Ziefert

1598504

The Apple Pie that Papa Baked by Lauren Thompson

154422

How to Make an Apple Pie and See the World by Marjorie Priceman

  • Making an apple craft!  Ransom isn't too crafty yet since he's only 2, so we picked an easy craft to make together: a toilet paper apple.  I simply cut off the end of a toilet paper roll and had Ransom help me color it red.  Then we made a little stem, colored it green, and stuck it through a slit in the apple.
Pretty cute, huh?

  • Making an apple dessert!  We made an apple crisp together (Ransom got to mix the bowl).  
We plan on going to an orchard soon, but we're waiting until we have "Pumpkin Week."  Poor Ransom is CERTAIN that a pumpkin is a tomato.  But hey, at least he knows all about apples!

Have you done anything with apples lately?



No comments:

Post a Comment