Thursday, August 13, 2015

REVIEW--The Sound of Letting Go

Have you been checking out my YouTube channel?  I LOVE posting videos about fashion and book-related topics, so make sure you check it out and subscribe!  Here are a few of the latest videos in case you've missed them:

Probably my favorite video I've made yet--the Inside Out tag!

Get to know me a little bit through the New to Booktube tag!

Today I'm reviewing The Sound of Letting Go by Stasia Ward Kehoe.  So let's jump right in!

17987215
  • Standalone novel
  • Realistic fiction / Novel in verse
Gist:
Daisy has always been the easy child, the good child.  Her younger brother is autistic and very high on the spectrum, meaning he can't handle attending public school, changes in his routine, or anything unexpected.  So Daisy never has friends over to the house for fear that her brother will have an outburst.  She never has a boy over.  She drowns herself in her jazz music.  And it's just so difficult.  But even more difficult is when her parents decide to send her brother away to an institution.  And the life that Daisy has created for herself suddenly changes and she just doesn't know how she will carry on without her brother and "normal" routine.

What I Loved:
  • I LOVE that this is a novel-in-verse, because the subject matter is a little heavy.  Having it in verse made it a little easier to read and just less threatening in that way.
  • This book just gets it.  I work with autistic students and I see siblings of autistic students.  Kehoe totally captures the emotions and struggles of having autism be a part of a family.  Especially the parent dynamics that constantly fluctuate.
  • I liked how Daisy used music as both an escape but also a way of expressing herself.  That's definitely a healthy way of doing things.
What I Didn't Love:
  • There's a love triangle here (which is fun to read!) but I didn't like how Daisy was changing herself for bad-boy Dave.  She dressed differently, acted differently--not so much a healthy message.  Additionally, I had a hard time believing that she wouldn't have any friends over because of her brother.  True friends are able to look past situations like that and love in spite of it.
Overall a really enjoyable read and one that I will definitely be passing on to others.  Four stars!





An outfit for Daisy coming tomorrow--AND an outfit for Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children!

No comments:

Post a Comment