Wednesday, November 6, 2013

The Selection-Inspired Outfit

Ok, you can't really read The Selection by Kiera Cass without drooling over the cover.  And really, I feel like I'm almost betraying the book by creating an outfit based off of it.  Because it's perfect.  And doesn't need any changes.  Let's just look at it again, shall we?


10507293 

I think if I owned this dress I would wear it all the time.  Even when I did the dishes.  Because it's that gorgeous!

Ok, moving on to the outfit I did design.  It's a day look inspired by the dress and an outfit I could see main character America wearing as she attends an afternoon tea in the palace.  Here it is:


Ruffles and Tulle

Pretty cute, right?

So here's how I designed it:
  • The dress on the cover is all about two things: ruffles and tulle.  Tulle ruffles!  I can't get enough!  So I chose an aqua dress with a ruffle waistline.  This particular dress is from the Mossimo brand at Target and is only $20!
  • But I needed some tulle to add to the dress, so I found a white tulle slip/skirt (this one is from TopShop for $50) that could easily slide underneath the dress.  The dress goes from slightly stiff to pretty fun when a little bit of tulle is peeking out underneath!
  • Pearls, pearls, pearls!  I wanted the dress to be layered in pearls to add a touch of the dramatic.  The shorter layer here is from Forever New for $24; the longer layer is from Tiffany's and is over $1300...yikes!
  • Some silver pumps finish the look, because a possible-princess-to-be has to wear heels, right?  This particular shoes are YSL and are pretty pricey--$665!  But any cute silver pump would do.  
So what do you think?  I know, I know, it's not the dress on the cover...but a good representation, right?

I'll be back tomorrow to review The Elite, the second book in The Selection series.  See you then! 

*I am not associated with any of the companies mentioned.


No comments:

Post a Comment