Sunday, November 24, 2013

Add a Little Painting to your Weekend...and an OOTD

Hi, readers and fashionistas!  Well, the weekend is almost ever and Thanksgiving week is here!  I'm so excited to have this week to celebrate with my family!  But let me share a little bit from my weekend first...

One of my first pieces of "big girl" furniture that I bought on my own when I graduated college was a dining room table set.  And it's the same set that we use in our dining room today...but I'm kind of over it.  The wood finish on the tabletop was pretty weak--hot plates would often leave burn marks on top.  So we started using a tablecloth...and I hate tablecloths.  They're always uneven or need washed about every day.  With Christmas almost here, buying a whole new dining set wasn't really in the budget, so I decided to paint the table.

With the AWESOME advice of my cousin-in-law, Morgan, we bought chalk paint.  Specifically Annie Sloan paint.  Guys, if you are painting furniture, you HAVE to use Annie Sloan's chalk paint (not to be confused with chalkboard paint--it's called chalk paint because of its chalky feel).  This paint requires NO priming or prepping of the furniture.  And a little paint goes a long way!  Even though a quart of the paint is pretty pricey--about $38--it covers two tables plus a few chairs.  

You can't find Annie Sloan in a typical paint store, but it's sold in antique and small business shops.  You might have to do a little research to find it, but honestly, it is SO worth it (and my husband, who grew up painting with professionals, agrees!).

So here's how our table looks now:


And I LOVE it!  It has that shabby chic look and we haven't had any burn mark issues!
The chairs are going to disappear soon--hopefully with some great Cyber Monday sales!

So if you're a fan of painting furniture or adding some life back into some old pieces, you must check out Annie Sloan!

Ok, now on to an Outfit of the Day.  I've worn this outfit to work twice and both times received numerous compliments (from both co-workers and students).  And it's practically all from Target!  I love this outfit because it keeps me looking young and fresh but it meets all dress code standards.  Here it is:


  • The skirt, which--let's be honest--is the center of attention of the outfit is a pink houndstooth print.  Hot pink.  I love it--and it's from Target!
  • The black boyfriend tee and cami are also both from Target.
  • The thick black belt is from Charlotte Russe, and a student told me that this outfit wouldn't nearly be as good without the belt.  It definitely brings the pieces together.
  • Black tights (Target) and black heels (Madden Girl) keep the outfit professional.
  • Simple accessories--a thick black bangle (a gift) and an initial pendant necklace (Linx & More) keep the outfit dainty but focused on the skirt.  I also wore stud earrings from Charlotte Russe.
So what do you think?  Would you wear this outfit to work?

I'll be back tomorrow with a review!  See you then!

*I am not associated with any of the companies or brands mentioned and purchased everything with my own money.

No comments:

Post a Comment