Thursday, October 3, 2013

REVIEW--Rise

Today I'm reviewing the third and final book in the Eve trilogy by Anna Carey--it's titled RiseClick here if you want to review what the first and second books in the series are all about.

Yes, I finished a series!  Hard to believe I know since I almost NEVER complete a book series.  But these were quick and easy reads that kept me entertained.  

14811943 
  • Third book in the Eve trilogy
  • Dystopian
*You should read the first and second books in this series (Eve, Once) BEFORE reading Rise!

Summary from Goodreads 
How far will you go when you have nothing left to lose?  
When she lost her soul mate, Caleb, Eve felt like her world had ended. Trapped in the palace, forced to play the part of the happy, patriotic princess of The New America—and the blushing bride of her father's top adviser—Eve's whole life is a lie. The only thing that keeps her going is Caleb's memory, and the revolution he started.
Now, Eve is taking over where Caleb left off. With the help of Moss, an undercover subversive in the King's court, she plots to take down The New America, beginning with the capital, the City of Sand. Will Eve be able to bring about a new, free world when she's called upon to perform the ultimate act of rebellion—killing her father?

The Gist:
Eve is now married to Charles and living inside the Palace.  But she's also working with Moss.  Together, they decide that Eve is the best choice to kill the king (her father) and help restore the nation to its pre-plague existence.  But Eve's not sure if she'll have the courage to kill him.

What I Loved:
  • This book was unpredictable--there were surprise executions, deaths, character reappearances.  I loved not knowing what was coming.
  • Some of the Palace residents, despite their supposed loyalty to the king, are likeable.  I enjoyed Charles and Clara and how they empathize with Eve and her cause.
  • Eve returns to a setting from the first book--the boys' hideout--and I loved this.  It kind of tied everything together for me.
  • And speaking of returns, Pip and Ruby from the first book return!  We get to know them a little more and it gave them so much more depth.

What I Didn't Love:
  • The ending--what?!?  Is Caleb back or not?!  The ending was also a little abrupt and sudden.
  • I found it a little unbelievable that Eve was able to disguise herself and escape the Palace more than once.  Are the guards really that bad at their job?
  • Arden becomes a little too powerful in my opinion.  She was in school for so long, and I think there would have been other people that could have taken the role that she was given towards the end.
  • Eve's second trip to Califia seemed so much easier than the first time she traveled with Caleb.  And this time she had a group of inexperienced girls with her. 

Favorite quote: "I'd read that when you missed someone you became them, that you did things to fill the space they'd left so you wouldn't feel alone."

 


I'll be back tomorrow with an outfit inspired by Eve's escape from the Palace!  See you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment