Thursday, October 24, 2013

REVIEW--The Madness Underneath

Whew!  Sorry my post is coming a little late today!  I just got back from an amazing two-day library conference and I've been scrambling to catch up all day!  But it was totally worth it--the conference was fantastic.

Today's review is on the book The Madness Underneath by Maureen Johnson; this is the second in the Shades of London series.  I have really fallen in love with this series for the unexpected action, supernatural characters, and quirky narrator.


13325854 
  • 2nd in the Shakes of London series
  • Supernatural/Mystery
The Gist:
Following the attack by "The Ripper," Rory is living in Bristol with her parents.  Out of nowhere, Rory's therapist suggest she return to Wexford Academy, and Rory soon learns that this was planned by the secret ghost agency in London.  Now that she is a terminus and able to defeat ghosts, the agency knows they may need her expertise in getting rid of some dangerous characters.  And Rory's about to learn how dangerous these ghosts are and how close they are to Wexford.  But defeating them while trying to stay on top of her Wexford schedule may be more than she can handle.

What I Loved: 
  • Sometimes I find sequels lack the excitement of the first in the series, but this book had a very cool concept and some major thrills!  The last third of the book had me turning the pages quickly.
  • This book is just as spooky and mysterious as the first--some gruesome deaths, an insane asylum, and surprise attacks.
  • I liked that this book demonstrated Rory's difficulty in re-entering Wexford and that Wexford held her accountable for that.  She didn't have it easy in catching up on work (totally understandable) but had to be held responsible for that.
  • Rory is just as snarky and sarcastic as I remember...and this is such a hoot!
  • I loved the cliffhanger ending, because it left me wanting more.  I don't remember the first having such an ending, so this will get me to check out the third book as soon as it comes out.
  • I LOVE the title--so clever!

What I Didn't Love:
  • Just like the first book in the series, I felt like the parents were super weak.  They NEVER call to check on Rory--hello, your daughter almost died?!  And the fact that they send her back to Wexford is pretty laughable.
  • Some of my favorite characters from the first book--Jazza and Jerome--are very minor in this sequel.  I missed Jazza!!!
  • Even though the end was very exciting, it all came on pretty suddenly.  Rory's interactions with Jane and Stephen were thrown in so unexpectedly that I wasn't ready for it.

My favorite quote: "Also, for the record, if someone is called a Romantic, it should mean some sexy times, I think.  Instead, what it really means is people in puffy shirts who probably had a lot of real-life sexytimes, but produced almost exclusively pictures of hillsides or people in dramatic poses, like pretending to be Ophelia dead in a swamp.  I definitely call shenanigans on this."

A fun and mysterious read--I can't wait for the sequel! 

 
Yeah, this probably won't mean anything until you read the book!


I'll see you here tomorrow for an outfit inspired by the book!

No comments:

Post a Comment