Saturday, January 4, 2014

Three Rivers Rising-Inspired Outfit

Well, the New Year brought the flu into our house.  It's been a rough couple of days for Luke and I, but we're hopefully at the end of the flu bug...fingers crossed!

Earlier this week I reviewed Three Rivers Rising by Jame Richards, a historical novel in verse based off the Johnstown, PA flooding of the late 1800s.  So that's the basis for today's outfit!  I decided to go a little rich and a little poor (since there were a variety of socioeconomic characters) and a little past and present.  And here's what I created:



I think it's super-cute!  Here's the breakdown:
  • The dress is a denim shirt dress (from Target for $20).  This is such a classic piece for women because it can be dressed up or down.  It was a perfect choice for this book because it fits the low-end in terms of budget and the color obviously matches the flooding in the book.
  • I love the hat--this is probably my favorite part of the look.  I wanted muted colors (lots of browns) and something that targeted the past, and this hat does just that!  I found this hat on Amazon for $37.
  • The tan wedge heels keep the outfit contemporary and fit for summer.  These are Jimmy Choo and retail for $575 (wow!).
  • A wrap watch keeps my brown color going throughout the outfit and adds a nice touch since the dress has 3/4-length sleeves.  This watch is $13 from Body Central.
  • And finally, these Kendra Scott white pearl earrings ($52) keep the outfit super-classy and maintain the high-end budget look.
So what do you think?  Do you see the inspiration from the book?

I'll be back next week with a super fun week of outfits...you Divergent fans are going to love it!  See you then!

*I am not associated with any companies/products mentioned.

No comments:

Post a Comment