Thursday, October 29, 2015

REVIEW--Made You Up

Yesterday I showed off my recent author visit with author Francesca Zappia.  The students and I had a blast with Chessie--she was down to earth, easy to talk to, and excited to share her feelings on the writing process. 

So today I thought I'd give you my review of the book!  I've said many times in videos before that Chessie was compared through our Indianapolis newspaper to John Green, so I had high expectations for this book.  And I was very pleasantly surprised!  Check out my review below:

17661416
  • Standalone novel
  • Realistic fiction
The Gist:
Starting at a new high school is difficult for students, but it is especially difficult for Alex.  She is a high school paranoid schizophrenic, and she's switching schools because of a graffiti incident at her last school.  But keeping schizophrenia a secret from new classmates is not easy when you aren't even sure what's real in the world.  Readers simply can't trust Alex, because she can't even trust herself.

What I Loved:
  • The premise of this is so fascinating--an unreliable narrator who literally doesn't know what is real or made up in her world.
  • This book was written so well!  It was an easy read for my students, yet not fluff material.  Zappia's writing style is advanced and engrossing.
  • I selfishly loved the Indiana setting--Meijer stores, highway trips...my students appreciated it, too!
  • There was a great depth to Zappia's characters.  I wanted to know more about each and every one of them.
  • Of course it wouldn't be a book about schizophrenia without a surprise ending! 
What I Didn't Love:
  • I did figure out a big spoiler before it was revealed.  However, I only discovered this based on some book artwork, and NONE of my students caught it.  So I think I'm in the minority on this one.
  • There were still a few questions in my mind when the book was over, especially involving Mr. McCoy and Celia.  I might have to go do some re-reading.
Overall a really enjoyable read for me!  My students loved it and it was a book to really get you thinking.  Four stars for me!





Tomorrow I'll feature an outfit based on Alex!

No comments:

Post a Comment