Tuesday, October 13, 2015

The Martian-Inspired Outfit

Last week I reviewed The Martian and last night I saw the movie.  Verdict--I loved both!  And there were enough differences to keep my interest throughout the entire movie. 

Wardrobe in this book is pretty normal for an astronaut--you've got the standard spacesuit and then just comfortable work clothes.  All NASA-issued, of course. 

So for my outfit inspiration I decided to create a NASA-inspired outfit that would be perfect for a fall walk around the neighborhood.  So much of Mark Watney's story featured him walking around, fixing broken equipment, considering his survival plan.  So I wanted to design an outfit that was easy to work in, appropriate for outdoor weather, and representative of NASA's clean lines in design. 

And here's what I came up with:

Let's break it down:
  • The puffy jacket of course is about as close as we get to a spacesuit.  I love the silver color; white coats aren't as practical and this still has a NASA feel to it.
  • A comfortable sweater and leggings are perfect for walking and working.  I love the clean lines of the sweater with just a touch of blue.  
  • Black combat boots are comfortable (yes, really) and good for all kinds of terrain.  Trendy right now, too.
  • Astronauts don't mess with dangly jewelry, so simple pearl earrings (these are only $12!) add some femininity but just a touch.
So what do you think?  Would you walk around your neighborhood in this outfit?

No comments:

Post a Comment