Tuesday, July 1, 2014

REVIEW--45 Pounds (More or Less)

Hi, readers and fashionistas!  Time for another review...in fact, I need to get my booty in gear and get these posted since I have a few stockpiled up!  Today's review was one of my vacation reads--45 Pounds (More or Less) by K.A. Barson.  I think summer is the perfect time to read a weight-loss book since the weather is so warm and everyone wants to look good in a bathing suit, right?

So let's jump into the review!

13424250
  • Standalone novel
  • Realistic fiction

The Gist:
Ann is pretty overweight and everyone knows it.  What makes this even more obvious is the fact that her mother is definitely NOT overweight and can fit into the teen clothes that Ann can't.  And even though Ann has tried losing weight MANY times in the past, her getting asked to be a bridesmaid in her aunt's wedding has sped that desire up.  In fact, Ann wants to lose about 45 pounds by the end of summer and in time for the wedding.  But doing this will force her to face skepticism, criticism, and doubt--and not just from others.  She'll have to face herself.

What I Loved:
  • There was a very positive message by the end of the book, especially in how Ann viewed her and her half-sister's relationships with food.  It's not about the number, folks.
  • I really believed Ann's journey in losing weight.  It was very realistic--she tried to keep dieting secret, lusted over food, kept pushing back start dates, etc.  Been there for each of those so I know it's real!
  • This book also looks at the layers beneath weight (ok, that was probably a bad pun) and gets into the emotional reasons for how we view ourselves and especially our weight.  Dr. Phil would agree with that and would suggest you confront the family/self issues that are causing you to live an unhealthy lifestyle.
What I Didn't Love:
  • Weak adults.  Goodness I hate weak adults.  Ann's mother just threw her daughter's weight in her face so much.  And I felt like Ann's mother and grandmother were over-the-top.
  • I didn't believe Ann's romantic interactions with the guy at the mall, nor her quick friendship with one of her co-workers.  Based on her social issues, I just felt like those characters would have strayed away from her.
  • Pretty predictable.  Even though the premise of this book is very different than Robin Brande's Fat Cat, I couldn't stop thinking how much more I preferred Brande's book for its characters and plot.
Honestly, I didn't love this one.  I wasn't engaged in the plot and the characters overall bothered me.  Sorry to say that it won't be a re-read for me, which is disappointing since I think we need more healthier-image books for teens!


However, I will be back with some fashion tips to show off your favorite parts of your body--because we shouldn't be obsessing over what we dislike but tastefully show off our preferred features!

No comments:

Post a Comment