Thursday, July 10, 2014

REVIEW--The One

Hey, readers and fashionistas!  You can't get more fashionable on a book cover than The Selection series (I formerly reviewed The Selection and The Elite) by Kiera Cass.  And I couldn't wait to finish this series when the final book, The One, was published.  I saw Cass tweet about secrets that would be revealed in this third book, and I was definitely anxious to have some questions answered.  So let's jump into the review!

20572939
I mean, this cover is GORGEOUS, right?!
  • Third and final book in The Selection series
  • Dystopian
The Gist:
Prince Maxon has narrowed down his eligible brides to the top four.  The remaining girls, including America, must now put everything on the line in order to win his final affections.  But danger looms around the castle as rebels become fiercer and bolder.  And of course America is still struggling through her feelings for guard Aspen and her homesickness.  Her entire future lies in wait.

What I Loved:
  • Questions are answered.  In fact, I felt fully satisfied in how everything was wrapped up (this doesn't necessarily mean I loved the ending but that it felt resolved).
  • But I will say I was ok with the ending.  It was good (how's that for a deep comment?!).
  • I was shocked.  I mean totally shocked by the ending.  I was reading the ending in the car while my husband was talking to me (yeah, I don't get any wife points there), and my mouth literally dropped open at the ending scenes.  That sounds so cliche and it is but it's totally true.  Mouth-dropping ending.
  • I grew to love and appreciate so many of the characters, even the witchy Celeste!  I am thankful for the changes that occurred in the characters.
  • This book wasn't about all the fluffiness that we saw before in parties, dances, singing, etc.  It got into hardcore meetings, violence, and surprises.
What I Didn't Love:
  • America and Maxon could still be so wishy-washy with each other, and neither one having the guts to say "I love you" really drove me crazy.  At times I felt myself liking the side characters more than these main characters.
  • I was overly annoyed by the Queen and King.  Stereotypical in their own ways (the Queen submissive, the King practically a tyrant).
My favorite quote:  "I want the holidays and the birthdays, the busy seasons and lazy weekends.  I want peanut butter fingerprints on my desk.  I want inside jokes and fights and everything.  I want a life with you."  I could totally frame this quote in my house!

A really great finish to the series--I recommend it if you're looking for something fun!  Four stars!



I'll be back with an outfit based off the cover (I'm going to have fun with that one!!).  See you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment