Tuesday, December 3, 2013

REVIEW--The Night She Disappeared

Ahhh, I love a good murder mystery.  I think it started with Agatha Christie; she had me hooked from my first Poirot book and now I love reading mysteries.  And I never seem to guess the murderer!  Maybe that's why I love it so much...?

Today's review is on The Night She Disappeared by April Henry.  It is a through-and-through mystery with a pretty creepy concept.  So let's get right into it!

12013031 
  • Standalone novel
  • Mystery
The Gist:
Gabie works at Pete's Pizza and frequently delivers pizzas for the store  in her Mini Cooper.  One evening, a male customer calls and asks for the girl with the Mini Cooper to deliver his pizzas.  Gabie isn't working that night, so Kayla, her replacement, delivers the pizzas instead.  She never returns to Pete's.  It is soon obvious that Kayla was kidnapped and Gabie was the intended target.  Gabie has a feeling that Kayla is alive and joins with Drew (the boy who took the phone call) to find her.

What I Loved:
  • This book was told from multiple points of view and it worked really well, especially getting the victim's and kidnapper's points of view.
  • The book had a very creepy undertone throughout and a CRAZY creepy villain.
What I Didn't Love:
  • It wasn't a nail biter and wasn't super scary like I was hoping.
  • The police investigation seemed pretty weak; they just seemed to give up after awhile.
  • The supervision at Pete's Pizza after the kidnapping also seemed weak.  If I were the owner, I would have wanted to be more present with the working teens. 
 My favorite quote: "Drew's mom came into Pete's a couple of weeks ago...I didn't know it was his mom.  He and I went to elementary schools, which is about the last time you see people's parents."

Overall an enjoyable read but maybe a little weak on the scary factor.  



 I'll be back soon with a "Who Wore It Best" cover edition for this book and another recent read (can you guess which one?!).  And then tomorrow I'll have an outfit based off of Gabie herself!

No comments:

Post a Comment