Wednesday, May 28, 2014

REVIEW--Takedown

Happy Wednesday, everyone!  Today's review is on a book I've been dying to read--Takedown by Allison van Diepen.  I can not keep van Diepen's books on my library shelf--especially Snitch and Street Pharm.  Guys and girls love her books, and I have to admit that I'm a fan, too!  She mostly writes "urban" fiction, or gang-related books.  And even though that is a totally different lifestyle than I'm used to, I get hooked in her stories!

Her latest, Takedown, follows her urban theme...I mean, check out this cover:

17170555
Pretty rough, right?  Very different than the girls-in-dresses covers that I usually read!

  • Standalone novel
  • Urban/realistic fiction

The Gist:
Darren sells drugs on the street for Diamond Tony, the infamous leader of the drug ring.  But after he takes the fall for Diamond Tony and serves two years in juvie, he wants revenge.  So he teams up with the police as an undercover informant.  But this is very risky--so risky that Diamond Tony would kill Darren on the spot if he knew.  And before Darren knows it, the violence and fear is out of control.
What I Loved:
  • This was just liked van Diepen's other books--page-turner, action-packed, adventurous.  I was totally involved in the book from the first chapter.
  • I loved the characters, especially Darren, Jessica, and Darren's little brother.  There was really a family unit among so many of the characters, even those who weren't really family.
  • I really love the cover--I'll be honest.  It's tough but still kind of pretty.
  • Darren writes music and shares his lyrics every few chapters or so.  And I really loved the lyrics!  A great added feature of the book.
What I Didn't Love:
  • Darren kept using the word "knapsack."  Really?  I think he'd say "backpack" or just "bag."  "Knapsack" sounds so dated.
  • The ending was very fast...in fact, the book built up SO MUCH for the ending, and it was too quick.  I wanted it a little more drawn out.  
My favorite quote:
"Outside the brick wall
A canister is hid
Put there by a friend
Then a lighter is lit
The flames spread like fear
The flames burn like tears
The walls of juvie burn
The flames of wasted years.
White Chris sits on a hill
Watches the fiery sight
'Merry Chris-mas to all
And to all a good night.'"

Four stars for me--a great read! 


Be back tomorrow with a Darren-inspired outfit.  See you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment