Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Takedown-Inspired Outfit

I recently reviewed Takedown by Allison van Diepen--a book that I was so excited to see published since my students (and I) love van Diepen's urban-themed books.  Takedown was excellent, and I have to admit that the brass knuckles on the cover had me feeling pretty tough!  I was excited to design an outfit based off the characters in this book, because I am definitely the OPPOSITE of gangster and this gave me a chance to play around!

So here it is:


Don't mess with me, yo.

So here's the breakdown of the look:
  • I knew I wanted a quote t-shirt, and this one had the perfect amount of "urban" without being too much.  It's a little tough, right?
  • You gotta have high tops if you're going for a gangster look.  The book mentions shiny shoes, and I thought these added a nice feminine touch with the aqua stripes.
  • I paired the high tops with skinny cuffed jeans.  I know, I probably should've added saggy jeans, but this is a girl's look, after all.
  • A leather jacket to accent the shoes and add a touch of "tough girl."
  • I didn't want to over-accessorize with a giant $ necklace (although the book mentions them!), but I thought a star was something a girl would wear.  A bright spot of bling.
So what do you think?  Does it pull off a "gangster" look?  Would YOU be bold enough to try it?

I can't wait to show you how I've been styling my bedroom--we have the coolest accent wall above our master bedroom.  That post will come this week and then I'll share about some fun posts coming up!  See you back here soon!

Shirt--Monki Katy
Jeans--Frame Denim
Jacket--Diana New
Shoes--Adidas

*I am not associated with any of the companies/products mentioned.  All opinions are my own.


No comments:

Post a Comment