Wednesday, July 29, 2015

I Was Here-Inspired Outfit

What. a. week.  Friends, remember when I told you that I had gotten some poison ivy all over my face?  Well, I'm still not sure if it was poison ivy or something else, but that crazy inspection spread EVERYWHERE on my body.  It's 1 1/2 weeks later and I'm STILL on high dosage medicine and STILL trying to recover.  Yikes!  I think I'm reaching a turning point (thank goodness!)--just in time for school to start!

I want to share the outfit that I designed for Cody in Gayle Forman's I Was Here.  Man, what a powerful novel from Forman about depression, friendship, and recovery.  See my full review here.

Cody is a multi-dimensional character in this book; she's searching for answers of her friend Meg's death while also trying to understand who she is herself.  This becomes a literal journey as she travels to Meg's college town to piece together the puzzle of her death.  This outfit took on those deep layers and even gives off a feeling of searching.  Here's what it looks like:


Let's break it down:

  • Cody grew up a bit beneath Meg's family's socioeconomic status, so this outfit needed to be a bit muted in color (especially since it also represents Cody's grieving).  I thought the distressed jeans (which I'm super obsessed with!) represented Cody's status well.
  • The "Single with Cats" tank toys with the character cats that Meg surprisingly left behind.  This would've been Cody's subtle way of handling the secrets she's discovering.
  • The comfy cardigan sweater is soft in color and comfortable for travel.
  • The gray boots keep the outfit from being too soft and sweet.  Cody has her guard up as she travels and these boots give off that no-nonsense attitude.
  • I think Cody would've noticed "M" monogram pieces now that she is without Meg.  A necklace like the one above is a way to remember Meg without going over-the-top.
What do you think?  Do you see Cody wearing something like this?  

Check out all the details of the outfit here.

Tomorrow I'm bringing you my July favorites!  Some FUN things that I've been loving this month!

No comments:

Post a Comment