Thursday, August 28, 2014

REVIEW--Yaqui Delgado Wants to Kick Your Ass

Ok, don't be turned off by the title of this book.  I have to admit--I'm not a fan of the title because it will turn some readers away immediately.  So I didn't have the highest expectations for the book.  But I was wrong.  Let me explain...

 15798660
  • Standalone novel
  • Realistic fiction (urban fiction)
The Gist:
Piddy Sanchez just moved to a new school and isn't necessarily happy about it.  Her mom has taken her away from all that's familiar and put her in an urban, and let's be honest, depressing school.  But she's focused on getting good grades so she can move forward to be a veterinarian.  And then a friend approaches her at school one day to drop the bomb that Yaqui Delgado wants to kick Piddy's a**.  And this is a shock to Piddy, because Piddy doesn't even know what Yaqui looks like.  But Yaqui knows Piddy and knows that her boyfriend was checking Piddy out, and that's all she needs to want to get revenge.  Piddy is now scared to go to school or to walk home alone, and she's just not sure who she can trust.

What I Loved:
  •  I was completely engaged in this book.  I cared about Piddy and her situation (and I've seen way too many students caught up in misunderstandings that turn violent).  It was realistic (which is too bad) and meaningful.
  • I felt like the adults were realistic, and even though they weren't always completely helpful, they also weren't weak.  They helped Piddy in the best way they knew how, which again is something I see so often through working in public schools.
  • I was satisfied with the ending.  It wasn't perfect and people could judge it as making Piddy look either strong or weak, but again, I think it was pretty darn realistic.  
What I Didn't Love:
  • The title.  Not trying to be elementary here (even though I'm not a cusser myself), but I know many people who would completely pass this by because of the title.  And I may have an issue booktalking it in my school. 
A great read that so accurately depicted real life in an urban school and neighborhood.  I definitely enjoyed it!  

I'll be designing an outfit for Piddy, so check back for that soon!  And also coming soon is something I like to call "How NOT to Dress like a Librarian."  Should be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment