Monday, August 25, 2014

Showing Off Harry Potter in the Library

Hi, readers and fashionistas!  Hey, did you know that your library/book displays can be fashionable, too? 

I have to admit it--it hurts my heart to walk into a library and see only outdated Garfield-reading-books-while-eating-lasagna posters.  I know, I know--there is NOTHING wrong with Garfield and I love him as much as the next 80s child...but he's outdated.  And my high school kids don't really know much about him. 

So I get really excited when I find creative ways to share students' love of YA books.  And it really makes a difference to add vibrant, contemporary displays.  I'm SO excited about my newest displays in the library, which are all about Harry Potter!  Here they are:

So I have a collection of 8 posters here...and from afar they don't look like much.  But this is the ENTIRE Harry Potter series in image form!  Look at these close-ups:
 
Book 5, when Luna comes into play--I love Luna!  Look at the amazing detail on these posters!
 
Book 4--one of my favorites!
 
These are called "Sumharry" posters--get it?  You can find them here.  If memory serves me right, I believe you can purchase them for a small donation fee.  And they're so worth it--the students love finding their favorite HP scenes in the images.
 
Now check this out:
 
That's one of my HUGE bulletin boards with an HP quote (from Book 7) painted on.  Isn't it amazing?!  Yeah, I didn't do it.  But my awesome friend Emily did.
 
Here she is, working on her masterpiece.  Yeah, she free-handed (or should I say free-painted) this without drawing it in pencil first.  She's super duper talented, and you should go check out her Etsy shop.
 
 
So what do you think?  Do you think these displays step it up a notch?  I'm absolutely loving them!
 
What cool book displays/signs do you have?
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment